[PS3] Kaz Hirai: No PS3 Rumble a ‘Strategic’ Move...

Aperto da .:|Physalis|:., 4 Ottobre, 2006, 16:52:40

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

.:|Physalis|:.

:bowdown:

LINK

In a recent interview, Sony Computer Entertainment America president Kaz Hirai said that the "strategic" move to drop rumble from the PlayStation 3 controller was for the consumer's benefit.

Hirai told games website Kikizo in a recently posted Tokyo Game Show video interview, "The issue when we're talking about trying to have motion sensing as well as a vibration feature, is trying to isolate the vibration feature from the motion sensors. Is it technically feasible? Absolutely."

However, Hirai said that a tilt-control-enabled controller coupled with rumble technology would be too pricey for many customers.

He continued, "But the other problem, or the balancing act that you need to do, is to be able to present the controller to the consumer at an affordable price. We have one controller in the box, but many consumers will want to go out and get an extra controller. And if we have to come up with technology - which you can technically do - to isolate the vibration from the sensing, if that means that the controllers are going to be so expensive, then we're doing the consumer a huge disservice by coming up with a controller that is not very affordable.

"So it's a balancing act that we need to do. And we felt that ultimately, the vibration feature, which is a feedback feature, as compared to the motion sensing which is an input functionality, when you compare the two, we decided that the input device or methodology is a lot more important than feedback, and that has been a strategic decision that we've made."

Sony have revealed that the PS3 controller, now dubbed "Sixaxis," would cost the equivalent of $42 in Japan.

Turrican3

Citazione di: .:|Physalis|:. il  4 Ottobre, 2006, 16:52:40In a recent interview, Sony Computer Entertainment America president Kaz Hirai said that the "strategic" move to drop rumble from the PlayStation 3 controller was for the consumer's benefit.

[...]

However, Hirai said that a tilt-control-enabled controller coupled with rumble technology would be too pricey for many customers.

Maddai, lo sanno anche i sassi che è tutto per colpa della causa persa contro la Immersion...

Immersion, che guardacaso pochissimo tempo fa mise su un sondaggio (su Gamasutra mi pare, o forse IGN, boh non ricordo) sull'argomento rumble. ;)

Secodno Immersion aggiungere il rumble è assolutamente fattibile ad con un costo irrisorio... bhò...

LINK

Force feedback technology firm Immersion told Next-Gen today that rumble implementation in the PlayStation 3's controller could be done at minimal cost to the consumer.

ImageImmersion CEO Vic Viegas responded to recent comments made by Sony Computer Entertainment America boss Kaz Hirai regarding the expensiveness of rumble implementation in the PS3 controller.

Viegas said in a phone interview, "[Hirai's] saying that [combining rumble and tilt in a controller] isn't a technical problem any longer, so I'm glad their engineers figured that out—even though we knew the day after [Sony's press release] how to do it."

In May this year, Sony said that the PS3 controller, recently named Sixaxis, would be rumble-free because "vibration itself interferes with information detected by the [tilt] sensor."

Viegas continued, "But now [Sony] seems to say that the solution for the two technologies to work side-by-side is too expensive. ... [Immersion] knows of ways to combine these two technologies without incremental increase to the cost. We've helped at least one other party do this as well. It doesn't really make any sense to me to say that the solution is really more expensive. I just don't believe it is."

Viegas then pointed to one Immersion licensee that has released a wired USB controller with rumble and tilt built in. eDimensional's G-Pad Pro is compatible with PS2 and PC and goes for $29.95. However, the G-Pad is wired and only boasts four directions of tilt control, compared to the Sixaxis' wireless capabilities and "six degrees of freedom."

"[eDimensional] is a smaller, third-party licensee that doesn't have nearly the volume that Sony does, and if they can combine the two [technologies] for that kind of price, I have to believe that Sony can do even better than that," Viegas said.

Sony revealed this week that the Sixaxis would cost around the equivalent of $42 in Japan.

Viegas' fervor comes from a recent interview with Hirai, in which he said that the controversial decision to leave rumble out of the Sixaxis was a "strategic" move intended to keep the price of the controller down for consumers.

"[We'd be] doing the consumer a huge disservice by coming up with a controller that is not very affordable," Hirai said.

Skeptics insist that the exclusion of rumble stems from the legal battles between Sony and Immersion regarding patent infringement of force feedback technology. Viegas said that he had just attended a hearing at an appeals court yesterday regarding the Sony case.

For now, it appears that while Immersion has the upper hand in court, videogames' top dog is passing on becoming an Immersion licensee. "We haven't found any common ground that would allow us to resolve this," said Viegas, indicating that the battle with Sony is at a standstill. "At this stage, it appears that they're comfortable launching a product without vibration. We'll be interested to see what the consumers have to say about that.

"...You can predict all you want, but I think ... [Sony] will feel it in their pocketbook. I think they'll realize that this was a poor choice and that gamers are smarter than what they take them for," Viegas concluded.

Turrican3

Ho unito al topic dell'altro giorno.

Boh che dire, se non erro Immersion dichiarò praticamente da subito che a suo avviso non vi era alcuna incompatibilità tra rumble e motion sensing.
Non ho però alcuna competenza in materia per poter riuscire a capire se uno dei due (o entrambi) ci stanno raccontando un mucchio di frottole. :(

Il Revo-mote dovrebbe già darti un'indizio della risposta...

Turrican3

Ehmm non credo, mica so quanto costa a Iwata & Co. produrlo :notooth:

Citazione di: Turrican3 il  5 Ottobre, 2006, 12:10:20
Ehmm non credo, mica so quanto costa a Iwata & Co. produrlo :notooth:

PArlo dell'aspetto di realizzabilità tecnica. Se tiri in ballo il costo, penso tanto. Dato il costo del Revo dato che non vedo altra giustificazione per spiegare i 250 euro e rotti... C'è da dire che il sistema di PS3 sarebbe meno compleso di quello del Revo, e qui si torna al probabile vbasso costo di implementazione paventato da Immersion...

Turrican3

Citazione di: .:|Physalis|:. il  5 Ottobre, 2006, 12:15:38PArlo dell'aspetto di realizzabilità tecnica.

Nel primo articolo Hirai non dice mica che è irrealizzabile. Dice che sarebbe costoso, il che è diverso ovviamente. ;)

CitazioneSe tiri in ballo il costo, penso tanto. Dato il costo del Revo dato che non vedo altra giustificazione per spiegare i 250 euro e rotti...

Beh il solo Revo-mote (così sei contento :inlove:) costa 60 carte (euro/dollari), per i 250 della console direi che come minimo una 30ina li dovresti scorporare per via del gioco in bundle, senza contare che hanno dichiarato che NON vendono in perdita. Ma siamo decisamente OT. :)

Citazione di: Turrican3 il  5 Ottobre, 2006, 12:23:27
Nel primo articolo Hirai non dice mica che è irrealizzabile. Dice che sarebbe costoso, il che è diverso ovviamente. ;)

Se hai problemi erettili... dici che alla tua partner che è "la prima volta e che sei  stressato" oppure dici che sei impotente? :whistle:

Citazione
Beh se lo compri da solo devi cacciare 60 carte (euro/dollari), per i 250 della console direi che come minimo una 30ina li dovresti scorporare per via del gioco in bundle, senza contare che hanno dichiarato che NON vendono in perdita. Ma siamo decisamente OT. :)

Forse non ho capito quello che dici, ma sembra confermare quello che dico.