Ecosistema Valve Steam - Topic ufficiale

Aperto da Bluforce, 31 Gennaio, 2013, 22:39:01

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Pandabit

Turrican3

Citazione di: Pandabit il 27 Settembre, 2013, 20:25:14E per la felicità di Turry, e la mia, c'è anche il WiiMote

Uh, non me n'ero accorto, bella dritta. :D
Però onestamente devo dire che è così stilizzato nelle forme che potrebbe anche trattarsi del pad del ColecoVision o dell'Intellivision*.

Detto questo, immani perplessità (a cominciare dai trackpad come sostituti degli stick analogici) ma... da provare, assolutamente.

Aggiungo le due immagini dall'annuncio ufficiale:

* = a tal proposito qualche tempo fa ricordo di aver visto una fantastica immagine con praticamente tutti i controller della storia legati tra loro in termini di evoluzione, però valla a ripescare... :bua:

Bluforce

Io continuo a pensare che se 'sto PAD l'avesse presentato una a caso fra Sony, Nintendo o Microsoft, sarebbe stato oggetto di critiche pesantissime (specie se l'avesse fatto Nintendo o Sony). Sarebbe finita peggio dell'impresentabile bananapad.

Valve ha una community di utenti che qualunque cosa essa potrà fare, verrà vista come iddio. Ed al "tipico mondo dei videogiocatori console" non interessa nulla riguardo Steam.

Secondo me non esiste alcuna tecnologia che mi costringe a strisciare le dita su di un pannello che possa sostituire la fisicità di levette da muovere.

Poi capisco pure che io sono nato e cresciuto ludicamente coi joystick del C64, mentre oggi i bimbini crescono strisciando dita su schermi lucidi. Per cui...

Turrican3

Citazione di: Bluforce il 29 Settembre, 2013, 12:35:37Valve ha una community di utenti che qualunque cosa essa potrà fare, verrà vista come iddio

Ma sai secondo me 'sta cosa è piuttosto trasversale, ogni comunità ha il suo zoccolo duro (più o meno nutrito) che reagisce in quel modo.

gerzam

Citazione di: Bluforce il 29 Settembre, 2013, 12:35:37
Io continuo a pensare che se 'sto PAD l'avesse presentato una a caso fra Sony, Nintendo o Microsoft, sarebbe stato oggetto di critiche pesantissime (specie se l'avesse fatto Nintendo o Sony). Sarebbe finita peggio dell'impresentabile bananapad.

Valve ha una community di utenti che qualunque cosa essa potrà fare, verrà vista come iddio. Ed al "tipico mondo dei videogiocatori console" non interessa nulla riguardo Steam.

Secondo me non esiste alcuna tecnologia che mi costringe a strisciare le dita su di un pannello che possa sostituire la fisicità di levette da muovere.

Poi capisco pure che io sono nato e cresciuto ludicamente coi joystick del C64, mentre oggi i bimbini crescono strisciando dita su schermi lucidi. Per cui...

Sono + o - d'accordo con te, però, leggendo come viene presentato il pad su Steam, pare quasi che questo vada a sostituire mouse+tastiera, mentre per i giochi "classici" è forse meglio utilizzare un pad tradizionale (tipo il supportatissimo pad 360).

Quoto da Steam:

"La caratteristica più notevole del controller Steam sono i suoi due trackpad circolari. Azionati dai pollici del giocatore, hanno entrambi un trackpad ad alta risoluzione alla base e possono anche essere premuti, trasformando l'intera superficie in un pulsante. I trackpad permettono una fedeltà dell'input di molto superiore a quella raggiunta dai controller tradizionali. I giocatori di Steam, abituati all'input associato al PC, noteranno che la risoluzione del Controller Steam è simile a quella di un mouse da desktop.

I generi di giochi che prima erano accessibili solamente tramite mouse e tastiera sono ora a portata di divano: giochi di strategia in tempo reale, casual, avventure punta e clicca, strategia, spaziali 4X e un'enorme scelta di giochi indie, di simulazione e, naturalmente, Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Inoltre, giochi come gli sparatutto in prima persona, che necessitano di una mira precisa all'interno di un vasto campo visivo, trarranno beneficio dall'alta risoluzione e dal controllo a posizionamento assoluto dei trackpad."

...o forse ho inteso male io... :mmmm:

Turrican3

CitazioneHello from the Steam hardware bunker.

Thanks for joining the Steam Universe community group. As we get closer to shipping the prototype Steam Machines and controllers we talked about last week, we're going to be posting info here about what we're up to, and give you some insight into the work we've done to get to this point.

As we talked about last week, the Steam Machines available for sale next year will be made by a variety of companies. Some of those companies will be capable of meeting the demands of lots of Steam users very quickly, some will be more specialized and lower volume. The hardware specs of each of those machines will differ, in many cases substantially, from our prototype.

Valve didn't set out to create our own prototype hardware just for the sake of going it alone - we wanted to accomplish some specific design goals that in the past others weren't yet tackling. One of them was to combine high-end power with a living-room-friendly form factor. Another was to help us test living-room scenarios on a box that's as open as possible.

So for our own first prototype Steam Machine ( the one we're shipping to 300 Steam users ), we've chosen to build something special. The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts. It is also fully upgradable, allowing any user to swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, even the motherboard if you really want to. Apart from the custom enclosure, anyone can go and build exactly the same machine by shopping for components and assembling it themselves. And we expect that at least a few people will do just that. (We'll also share the source CAD files for our enclosure, in case people want to replicate it as well.)

And to be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users.
It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase - those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package. Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions.

Here are the specifications for Valve's 300 prototypes.

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

As a hardware platform, the Steam ecosystem will change over time, so any upgrades will be at each user's discretion. In the future we'll talk about how Steam will help customers understand the differences between machines, hardware strengths and weaknesses, and upgrade decisions.

We aren't quite ready to post a picture of our prototype - just because they're not finished enough. Before they ship we'll let you know what the prototype looks like. And we expect people to redesign the machine, too. Both from a technical perspective, deciding on different components, and from an industrial design perspective, changing the enclosure in interesting ways.

So high-powered SteamOS living room machines are nice, and fun to play with, and will make many Steam customers happy. But there are a lot of other Steam customers who already have perfectly great gaming hardware at home in the form of a powerful PC. The prototype we're talking about here is not meant to replace that. Many of those users would like to have a way to bridge the gap into the living room without giving up their existing hardware and without spending lots of money. We think that's a great goal, and we're working on ways to use our in-home streaming technology to accomplish it - we'll talk more about that in the future.

Stay tuned for some closer looks at the Steam Controller.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/2145128928746175450

Qualche dettaglio riguardo l'hardware dei 300 prototipi Steam Machines che verranno distribuiti ad altrettanti utenti Steam.

Bluforce

Già mi vedo la faccia di quello che riceve la Steam Machine con dentro l'i3.

Peraltro almeno Watch_Dogs lo farà girare SICURO:
http://www.ign.com/wikis/watch-dogs/PC_System_Requirements

Boh, rimane la mia perplessità. Ma gli steammari mi dicono che è tutto OK, tutto sotto controllo, tutto perfetto. Avranno ragione loro :)

Turrican3

Beh, nel papiro che ho postato ( :bua: ) è scritto chiaro e tondo che "non si tratta di macchine pensate per soddisfare i bisogni di tutte le decine di milioni di utenti Steam".

Qualsiasi cosa significhi, c'è un progetto dietro: ma andare a capire cosa e soprattutto come intendono metterlo in atto con successo è un altro paio di maniche...

Bluforce

Ubi fa mea culpa, e dice che quelle specifiche non sono quelle ufficiali.

Ed ecco quelle ufficiali:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692962

Sono ancora più avide di risorse XD

Turrican3

CitazioneValve revealed the specs for the first prototype Steam Machines to be distributed to 300 gamers for testing and feedback. NVIDIA and Valve have been working together on the upcoming SteamOS and Steam Machine prototypes for some time now, and we're delighted to have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX series featured in the Steam Machine prototypes shipping later this year.

For more on this project, we sat down with Mike Sartaina member of the Linux teamValve, to talk Steam Machines and the decision to include GTX products.

Q. How did NVIDIA and Valve begin working on the SteamOS and Steam Machine projects?
Mike Sartain: NVIDIA and Valve have been working together for over a decade and engineers from both companies are in constant communication. When the SteamOS and Steam Machine projects first got going at Valve, everyone from NVIDIA showed a ton of excitement and wanted to get involved. It was a very collaborative effort as folks just started tackling issues such as driver support, porting 'NVIDIA's content library, and more.

Q. Why is everyone so excited?
Sartain: Everyone at Valve and NVIDIA believe the SteamOS open ecosystem is a very important move for gaming. It has the potential to redefine the living room experience. Also, both companies are very interested in collecting gamer feedback during pre-production, including them in the design process. It's a chance to innovate in a way that doesn't come along too often.

Q. What were some of the goals and requirements for the first Steam Machine prototypes?
Sartain: At this phase, we are very much interested in the real-world testing of different configurations with gamers. Their feedback will have a significant impact in shaping further development of these devices and the functionality of the SteamOS. As such, we wanted to test a variety of Steam Machines that explore a range of price performance. NVIDIA has done a ton of work to optimize its GTX GPU series on Linux. That work applies across the GTX product line, which provides a complementary set of GPUs for our desired range of prototype Machines.

Q. What can those lucky 300 people expect when they receive their Steam Machine prototype later this year?
Sartain: The GeForce GTX series delivers the graphics performance, acoustic characteristics, and power efficiency we wanted for the first impression of the SteamOS living room game experience. So, even though they are helping us test these devices, their experience should begin with superior performance and amazing visuals directly on their big screen TV the first day they have it.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/10/04/steam-machines/

Turrican3

Video dimostrativo del controller.

Boh, non lo so, quando viene utilizzato a mo' di trackpad con continui strusciamenti non mi convince per nulla... :|
Ma ribadisco, comunque da provare.

Bluforce

A me per i giochi "console" continua a non convincere per niente.

Cerco di immaginare come portare i controlli di GTA V su quel PAD, e non trovo risposte adeguate. Fin tanto che la concorrenza offre degli schemi ormai standardizzati da decenni, la vedo dura.

Bluforce

Scusate una domanda.

'Sto periodo rifletto con un amico sul suo nuovo PC da gioco, e guardando qua e là ieri ci chiedevamo una cosa.

Valve dice che la Steam Machine è circa 30*30*7 cm (che è un po' quanto PS4, che è 30*27*5).

Sul sito NVIDIA dicono che la Titan è alta 11 cm.

:look:

Magia?

Turrican3

Tolgono il raffreddamento, sai che magia di "fuochi di artificio" dopo 5 minuti? :lol:

stobbArt

quella è la dimensione senza tenere conto dell'impianto di raffreddamento venduto separatamente :sisi: