News:

8 Luglio 2005: Gamers4um è finalmente un "vero" forum... da parte mia
un caloroso benvenuto a tutti i vecchi e nuovi iscritti!!
Turrican3

Menu principale

[RETRO] Scovato prototipo Sony-Nintendo PlayStation

Aperto da Turrican3, 3 Luglio, 2015, 11:51:56

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Turrican3

Citazione di: Giulo75 il  7 Novembre, 2015, 02:01:12
le leggende urbane

Ma questa non rientra nella categoria. ;)

Era "solo" un progetto cannato... per quanto, a posteriori, con risvolti tra i più significativi della storia dei videogiochi.

Bluforce

Solo che non si sapeva esistessero persino dei prototipi funzionanti.

Se tutto ciò è un fake, è il fake meglio organizzato della storia di internet.

Turrican3

Vabbè personalmente che qualcuno (tutti?!) di 'sti gingilli funzionasse lo davo per scontato... cioè, non mi stupisce che funzioni, mi stupisce il fatto che l'abbiano scovato. :D

Turrican3

Ecco le altre foto, fonte per tutte (incluse quelle del post dell'altro giorno) è questa --> http://hkgolden.com/articles/article.aspx?id=20279&catid=33

Guardando le foto della motherboard - peraltro parrebbe "fritta" in alcuni punti :'( - credo che l'unico commento possibile sia questo:

Citazione di: Bluforce il  7 Novembre, 2015, 15:17:08Se tutto ciò è un fake, è il fake meglio organizzato della storia di internet.

:D

Incredibile, semplicemente incredibile. :| :| :|

Turrican3

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/nintendo-playstation-is-real-and-it-works/

Articolo anche di Engadget. L'unità CD-ROM del prototipo parrebbe non funzionante (e del resto, anche se lo fosse, mancherebbe il software dedicato).

Bluforce

Insomma, l'unica cosa Sony lì dentro non funziona :lol2:

:D

Turrican3

Ouch... :hihi:

Comunque 'sta cosa mi ha lasciato un attimino perplesso: ma come si può anche solo ipotizzare che ci giri la roba PS1, eddai... :D

Da Engadget una gaffe del genere non me l'aspettavo, mi pare un sito abbastanza competente. :-\

Turrican3

Turrican3

Analisi del prototipo da parte di un noto esperto... che per me fino ad oggi non era noto affatto. :bua:

Turrican3

Seconda parte del video di cui sopra, si tenta di riparare (!!!) il prototipo.

chicco71

com'è finita? l'hanno fucilato o è rimasto attaccato alla corrente?

Inviato dal mio hi6210sft utilizzando Tapatalk

Turrican3

Purtroppo non ho ancora visionato la seconda parte... :sweat:

Mystic

Citazione di: chicco71 il 30 Agosto, 2016, 20:08:15
com'è finita? l'hanno fucilato o è rimasto attaccato alla corrente?

confermo. è stato fucilato  :sisi:

Bluforce

Turrican3

Anticipato da Blu, aggiungo qualche dettaglio.

Hanno fatto funzionare il CD-ROM della PlayStation :o

Tuttavia c'è poco da stare allegri, ed il seguente fanciullo, tra i più profondi conoscitori al mondo del funzionamento interno dello SNES, ci spiega i perché... sostanzialmente ritiene che questo sistema sia ben lungi da ciò che avrebbe potuto rappresentare PlayStation qualora fosse realmente giunta in commercio, una sorta di prototipo allo stato embrionale tutt'altro che ottimizzato.

C'è anche un gigantesco problema legato all'usura, un firmware del prototipo non è stato archiviato (ed è rischioso farlo), prima o poi il suo contenuto risulterà corrotto/illeggibile e a quel punto PlayStation smetterà definitivamente di funzionare.

Qui il post:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=235847167

CitazioneIt's been a lot of fun to look at this thing and see how it works.

But as it stands, all we're left with is a barely understood, barebones CD-ROM reader and that's it. The cartridge only gives a bare minimum 32KB of RAM, which means any games for this system would be constantly loading data off of CDs. Further, there's no additional processing power. So games on this platform would be far worse than cartridge-based games, which would be a really tough sell for a presumably very expensive add-on.

What's evident is that this is not at all what the SNES CD would have actually been. There are many design specs from both Sony and Phillips that described much more capable machines with much more powerful coprocessors being added to the base system, along with more RAM to reduce the frequency of loading screens. This was probably the earliest possible proof-of-concept for reading from CDs: they didn't even bother to make it a proper expansion port device. Yet if they were really going to force people to buy the base SNES again, then they'd have integrated the cartridge guts into the base system, so as to not take up the cartridge slot.

At the end of the day, the MSU1 does everything this prototype can do, but far better. Larger storage, no seek delays, being able to transmit both data and CD audio at the same time, and having the cartridge port free for any additional coprocessors to enhance games. And the MSU1 does so in 3KB of code, that is trivial to implement in any emulator, and will be consistent across all implementations (hopefully.) If anyone wants the experience of this prototype, using the MSU1 and adding intentional delays and handicaps will get you 100% of the way there.

Even still, I would consider emulating this if not for the fact that there is only one prototype of this in the world. It's very unlikely the Diebolds would want to lend me their sole console to run hundreds of hours of intensive software tests on it, and it's possible that stress could cause the system to fail again. It's already 20-30 years old, after all. I can't handle the pressure of being "the guy who ruined the only SNES CD prototype in existence."

And even if I could run all the tests in the world to get things as accurate as possible (and it wouldn't come close to the accuracy we're at with the base system -- that would take 15+ years of research by dozens of people), there's still the major issue that the NEC controller has firmware on it that is undumped. Dumping it would require desoldering the chip from the board. Right now, nocash is using high-level emulation (which I prefer to call simulation) to support its functions, but that's not something I'll ever go back to with higan.

The real tragedy is that NEC chip is programmable memory. Which means the data is subject to bit-rot, and in fact is already past its expected lifetime. That data *will* rot, and when it does, this prototype will cease to function. And without that data having been dumped, not even Ben Heck will be able to salvage the system. It will well and truly be lost forever. I've explained this risk to the Diebolds, but that's all I can do. I don't see them taking the risk to dump the firmware today to protect against the system failing in the future.

And so, emulating the system with what we know now will just result in more cases like Magic Floor and Super Boss Gaiden: games that run on emulators, but fail when actually put on the real hardware. A very similar situation to what happened with regular SNES games designed in ZSNES.

All that said, I do still want to see the hardware preserved. But higan/bsnes is about accurate emulation, and there's just no way I'm ever going to get that with the SNES CD. Anything I implement would just be a huge hack filled with guesses that would result in games made for it not even working on the real thing. Just as what happened to nocash with his emulator.

Sorry to disappoint =(