News:

8 Luglio 2005: Gamers4um è finalmente un "vero" forum... da parte mia
un caloroso benvenuto a tutti i vecchi e nuovi iscritti!!
Turrican3

Menu principale

[PS3] WTF Sony?

Aperto da .:|Physalis|:., 5 Ottobre, 2006, 11:20:27

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

.:|Physalis|:.

LINK

The Tokyo Game Show has just ended and many of us were very satisfied with what we saw from Sony, some of us, not so much... Here at PS3Land.com we thought we would bring some things to attention that some of you were probably thinking yourselves, and ask the question; WTF Sony?

Basically there are things Sony has yet to reveal and launch is right around the corner. Our discussion will include things like; Where was Sony's online announcements, where was Linux, and what are the final specs on the RSX graphics card? Some of you may feel fine knowing that Sony is planning everything strategically and not showing all their cards just yet. Perhaps many of you will agree with our arguements and that's for you to decide.

So lets start things off with me, Justin Pinter, journalist and graphic designer.

Justin Pinter: Just to let everyone know, I liked the Tokyo Game Show and from what I saw, Sony is very prepared in providing the public fantastic and innovative games. Although, there is one big question I would like to address: Where was Sony's details on their online service?

So many games are coming to the PS3 that plan to have multiplayer as one of their main focuses. Take a title that everyone knows, like... Resistance Fall of Man. The developers at Insomniac plan to provide clans, rankings, match making, and up to 40 player support. Now how is this going to be incorprated on the PS3? Will there be a main hub where you can access friends lists and join a friends map or will online be completely up to the developers?

Also, Sony said nothing more about working with Xfire on their title Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom. There was no title given to the online service, or details on what they plan to provide other than a Xbox Live copy.

Ian Stanfield (Journalist): I can't say I'm totally impressed. Several things were good, like the addition of White Knight Story to Sony's lineup, which isn't exactly sterling as of right now. Most of the footage was just taken from E3, and redistrubted with the notion that the folks in the US would pay no attention to TGS. The fact that the launch lineup is dwindling is raising my eyebrow. We've known about Warhawk for what seems like ages now, and it apparently has been pushed back. Dumping the UK is probably the worst business decision I've seen in recent years. We can safely assume Kutargi is curled up in the fetal position in his hotel room, crying/drinking himself to sleep with a bottle of Sakai, wishing he hadn't made so many moronic decisions.

Like I mentioned earlier, Sony is getting something right. It's got a few great looking games. Motorstorm, Resistance, Fatal Inertia, and several other games look pretty great, if not decent. Sony has a lot riding on this console, and with the flurry of rumors circulating about pricedrops, it'll be interesting to see what Sony does in the few months leading up to the release of the console stateside and in Japan (sorry UK guys).

Bhavin Shah (Deputy Editor & Journalist): Firstly, let me apologise to Justin. He had to listen to all my complaining about TGS.

Simply put, I was extremely disappointed with Sony's showing last week. Yes they had 200 playable units, and yes they had a load of playable games. But who seriously feels that Sony justified a $500 or $600 (delayed) console?

Where were the surprise announcements? The secret feature that Sony's kept bottled up?

Sony just about redeemed itself with the Japanese audience after its two significant announcements: HDMI on the 20GB PS3, and a price cut for the 20GB PS3 in Japan.

But that was it. Kutaragi just rambled on about how his vision is a Youtube-like service where users can upload their content and share it with others. Show us this system! In fact, show us any part of the online system and I'll be satisfied.

We're less than two months from launch in the US and Japan, and we have yet to see how the online service will operate. What will it look like? What will they offer from day one?

And what happened to Linux on every HDD? It was mentioned once at the PS Business Briefing (when the delay from Spring to November was announced), but since then we haven't heard a word about it.

Show me why I'm going to make this $600 investment.

To those who think Sony stole the show at TGS, just remember that Nintendo didn't bother to turn up after it held its own event, and Microsoft had its X06. This was the perfect opportunity for Sony to silence all the critics.

I guess I'm already annoyed that I won't be getting my hands on a PS3 till March. But regardless, I cannot see Sony launching the PS3 in November with consumers knowing so little about the system. There must be something else...there must be...

Paul Coroneos (Journalist): I viewed TGS 2006 as Sony teasing us once again. We saw the games, we saw the finished console, and we saw the percentage of completion for nearly every title.

As the name implies, TGS was all about games. And minus Ken's long winded speech about, well, I am still not quite sure still, Sony lived up to its expectations.

However, Sony kept an ace in the hole. What hapenned to new information about the RSX that we know virtually nothing about? What about online play? What about a complete list of launch titles confirmed by none other than Sony?

I believe it all has to do with X06. Microsoft had a strong showing, with games such as Gears of War leading the anti- PlayStation 3 charge. After watching the news from the show, I realised why Sony was quiet about these questions I have in the back of my mind. There will be another show.

TGS was not meant to be the last stand before launch day. There is suppose to be another show right around the end of October. And while we know nothing about it, I believe gamers can be confident in knowing that Sony must tell us all at this show. The PS3 Business Briefing was a teaser for E3 2006. E32006 was a teaser for TGS 2006. And I believe honesly, that TGS 2006 is once again just a teaser for Sony's last show in a few weeks.