News:

8 Luglio 2005: Gamers4um è finalmente un "vero" forum... da parte mia
un caloroso benvenuto a tutti i vecchi e nuovi iscritti!!
Turrican3

Menu principale

[NDS][REVO][GBA] Q&A con Reggie (NOA)

Aperto da Turrican3, 4 Novembre, 2005, 14:00:07

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Turrican3

Il vulcanico marketing-man di Nintendo of America ha tenuto ieri una conferenza stampa alla fine della quale si è svolta la sessione di Q&A della quale riporto le domande più interessanti.

fonte: trascript da ds.ign.com

Q: When you say "Shortish..." Does Nintendo plan to make Micro a short run, or will you keep producing them if the market continues to buy them up?

A: We've always said from the time that I pulled it out of my pocket at E3 that it would be a limited opportunity for us. The question is "is it for the next three months, six months, or next year?" We're not sure. But it certainly is a limited opportunity that's why the current execution of faceplates, we then move on to Famicom. Once that is complete we will move onto the next phase.

Q: What about home configurations and WPA (Secured Networks)?

A: Nintendo WiFi Connection has all of the information in terms of which existing routers are compatible and which ones have the best compatibility. It's all there. In terms of the different authentications, all the info is there and it will be very easy for the consumer. That was our goal from the start; we wanted a consumer whether they have a LAN line and the USB connector, or whether you have an existing router... it is all there on Nintendo WiFi Connection.

Q: At E3 you had a demo of voice chat and online chat support. Is that something that is going to be pursued?

A: There is a lot of testing going on, and we thought it was something intriguing enough to show at E3 as a tech demo, and is maybe something that is incorporated into a game in the future. We'll look into it. It is certainly something that intrigues us.

Q: There are now multiple platforms and multiple price points. Now that there is the SP at 79.99, the Micro at 99.99, and the DS. It becomes a little less clear when trying to differentiate those. Has there been any consumer confusion?

A: We have seen no consumer confusion. I believe the average consumer can wrap their head around GBA, especially with the new brighter screen, Micro; something different. And we have been clear that Micro is something that is not for everyone. It is for a consumer that wants something they can slip in the pocket, different faceplates to capture a personality and an image, and those consumers are willing to pay an extra $20 for that opportunity and benefit. DS is our workhorse. From 129.99 we are looking to drive significant volume. And the consumer has certainly responded to that.

Q: One of my issues with DS is this: When it was announced the possibilities seemed endless and now we have seen developers wanting to go out and create new kinds of games. However, success outside of Japan has to deal with developers outside of Japan and I'm not seeing a lot of western developers and publishers wanting to take that step and do something different. Everything seems to be touch screen features and ports. Do you see that as a problem, especially with Revolution following this. How do you want to change the developer's minds from that standpoint?

A: From my standpoint maybe I look at this too simplistically. The best answer for a 3rd party developer is to show performance in the system, strength in the market place, and innovation working. Quite frankly, we have now answered those questions with Nintendogs (2 Million Units sold), and DS outselling PSP on a weekly basis here in the marketplace. Outselling on a 3 to 1 in Japan. (il solito sborone :sweat: ndTurry) They needed to see that, and they are seeing that now. I am trilled with folks like Vicarious and Activision that have jumped on board early to support the platform. I think it is great, and we will see more of it. Supporting the DS is a good business decision, and that is what licensors look for. From a Revolution standpoint, we have been spending time to share the tool and information to get that support early.

Q: I'm curious what your thoughts are on having DS as a web browser. Is that soothing you are going to steer clear of since it is a kids platform or is that something you could look into?

A: Actually having a web browser on the DS? I think it is a provocative idea. I think it is very provocative. And again, looking at it with our "Disruptor Lens" by saying "how can we bring new people on board to buy DS and play DS" I think having a web browser would be highly disruptive; I would love to do it.

Q: Do you see Microsoft and Sony as competitors the way you are building the Revolution's strategy?

A: I see Sony and Microsoft pursuing the same strategies. Center of the home, multipurpose, very expensive... Ya know I got a kick out of the latest comments on the PS3 and its frame rate. It is like 3X the rate that your eye can see a difference! I mean talk about overshooting consumer needs and creating an opportunity for a disruptor to come in and say "look at this different solution." So going back to my examples, do I think Southwest thought of the other airlines as competitors? Well sure I did. Do I see Sony and Microsoft as a competitor? Sure I do. But they are on a different path. I'm not saying one path is right and one is wrong. I am just saying that one has the potential to lead to a very very different marketplace. I see that it is working based on Nintendogs and Mario Kart. It isn't either/or. It is doing both.

Q: Apple is taking the music industry a new direction with IPod and ITunes. When is the videogame industry going to take that direct download approach onto a handheld?

A: I don't know about a handheld device, but talk to me in May when we talk about details on the Revolution and the Virtual Console.

Q: The new Zelda. Still to Cube even though the Revolution is so close?

A: Mr. Miyamoto and Iwata have said repeatedly that they want it out on Game Cube, and since I take my orders directly from them ( :sweat: :hihi: ndTurry) I would have to say it is going to be on Game Cube.