News:

8 Luglio 2005: Gamers4um è finalmente un "vero" forum... da parte mia
un caloroso benvenuto a tutti i vecchi e nuovi iscritti!!
Turrican3

Menu principale

Topic unico - voci / notizie multipiattaforma nextgen (PS5 / XSX)

Aperto da Turrican3, 7 Luglio, 2017, 14:03:36

Discussione precedente - Discussione successiva

Turrican3

Citazione"I would say the role of Microsoft Studios is firstly to differentiate our platforms," Nichols explained. "I use that phrase 'platforms' specifically, and not just hardware itself. Platforms as in Xbox One, the Xbox Live social network, our Game Pass service... all of those exclusive games provide value for those platforms. Frankly, what you're seeing and what's changed over the last many years has been a really strong pivot, and I think a very forward-leaning pivot, into what's the future of gaming we want to enable. And the future we want to enable is that you can play amazing games, you can play with the people you want regardless of the device you're on, regardless of the device they're on, and you can choose to play those games on whatever device. That is a more gamer-centric view of what it is we're trying to build that for sure is different than the way people would think about the console business in and of itself five or 10 years ago.

"We want to reach gamers of all types. We want to reach gamers who are only on phones. We want to reach gamers who are only on PC, who are only on console, and mixes therein. And in order to do that, we need to make our content available across the relevant devices. And in some cases, we want to make content specific to a device, like we announced the Gears Pop game specifically for mobile. It is definitely a change in our approach, but it's a change in our approach that I think reflects consumer dynamics, technology, evolution... Frankly, consumers look increasingly at every form of entertainment. They expect it to play across many devices. There are some reasons why that's harder in gaming than other forms of entertainment, but I would still look at it as a really great vision to work towards, and that's what we're trying to do."

[...]

One thing Microsoft isn't working on right now--at least as it pertains to Xbox--is virtual reality/mixed reality.

"We don't have any plans specific to Xbox consoles in virtual reality or mixed reality," Nichols said. "Our perspective on it has been and continues to be that the PC is probably the best platform for more immersive VR and MR. As an open platform, it just allows faster, more rapid iteration. There are plenty of companies investing in it in the hardware side and the content side, or some combination therein. Obviously on phones, augmented reality is a good scenario as well that's going to grow. But as it relates to Xbox, no. Our focus is primarily on experiences you would play on your TV, and ultimately we'd like to make those experiences more broadly."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-06-13-xboxs-evolving-first-party-strategy

Lunga intervista a Microsoft, ho evidenziato alcuni dei passi più interessanti... una cosa sembra certa, niente Virtual e Mixed Reality nel futuro di Xbox, ritenute esperienze più adatte all'universo PC.

Turrican3

[semiOT]
Qui spiegano in maniera abbastanza chiara e non eccessivamente tecnica questo benedetto sovracampionamento o SSAA che dir si voglia.

Rot!

Forse mi sbaglio, in fondo praticamente frequento solo questo forum e leggo poco altro (kotaku)... insomma, il campione da cui annuso l'aria e gli umori e' statisticamente davvero piccolo.
Tuttavia la negativita' che accompagna la prossima generazione di console mi sembra gia' altissima... mi domando che cosa possano fare, o addirittura se vi sia qualcosa da fare, magari non si puo' fare nulla, solo accompagnare le console sul viale del tramonto - rimango sempre scettico che il mercato possa reggersi senza fare girare grandi numeri e dare una certa stabilita' all'hw...

CitazioneWhat this means is that a potential PS5 released in 2020 wouldn't even necessarily be as powerful as a gaming PC built now in 2018. That's a problem, because next-generation games are already, according to Arthur Gies for Variety, choking on top-tier PC systems. Consoles can squeeze a lot more performance out of hardware thanks to the fact that they don't have to multitask as much and that game developers can code to specific hardware instead of designing games to work on a wide range of hardware, but it's still a tall order to ask them to develop for something not even as powerful as a gaming PC built today.

https://gizmodo.com/if-streaming-is-the-future-of-console-gaming-it-might-1827056790

Saluti

Turrican3

Dotto', di sicuro non ti dico nulla di nuovo ma le cose *ad oggi* stanno così.

Il mondo gioca, in ordine decrescente di numeri:

1. mobile
2. console casalinghe o portatili
3. PC

Ora, a prescindere dal fatto che "un PC da gioco" [del 2018] è una frase che vuol dire tutto e niente, secondo me chi pensa che non raggiungere questo non-meglio-precisato livello di potenza sia un problema sta ampiamente sovrastimando le esigenze dell'utente medio.

Che anche a voler ignorare per un attimo il fenomeno mobile ed il suo ordine di grandezza, è quello che non si è esattamente catapultato su PS4 Pro / Xbox One X perchè sentiva l'improrogabile necessità di mandarle in pensione.

Rot!

Citazione di: Turrican3 il 25 Giugno, 2018, 10:11:09

Ora, a prescindere dal fatto che "un PC da gioco" [del 2018] è una frase che vuol dire tutto e niente, secondo me chi pensa che non raggiungere questo non-meglio-precisato livello di potenza sia un problema sta ampiamente sovrastimando le esigenze dell'utente medio.

Ma il problema che l'articolo sottolinea e' che le prossime console potrebbero non soddisfare non le esigenze dell'utenza , ma quelle degli sviluppatori stessi. Gira insomma l'idea che, ancora prima che le cose vengano presentate, siano gia' considerate non adeguate.
Come la pensi io e' risaputo, e non e' tanto lontano da quello che pensi tu.  :-)

Saluti

Turrican3

No aspè, quella è una mera speculazione di Gies (e di Biggy) in altro articolo citato, nel quale si ipotizza emorragia di utenza dal mondo console a quello PC:

CitazioneThere have historically been indications that consumer engagement and excitement for platforms wane as those ecosystems mature. Put more simply, people aren’t excited by old consoles (unless the company selling them is Nintendo, that is [ahah stacce carissimo Gies, stacce... NdTurry :asd:]). And the glut of available software for these systems leads to a player-base less willing to take risks with their purchases or time to try things they aren’t familiar with.

There’s also the risk that players will seek more expansive, sophisticated, advanced experiences elsewhere if consoles can no longer provide those things. The end of the last console generation saw a resurgence of the PC space and runaway success for PC-only titles like “Rust,” and the rise of PC multiplayer giants like “League of Legends” and “Dota 2.” It’s important for companies to get the best returns they can for as long as possible with consoles, but waiting too long can threaten the future of those platforms.

Da qui a farne una lamentela più o meno diffusa degli addetti ai lavori... beh datemi del cinico, ma modestia a parte penso di averlo capito fin troppo bene 'sto mercato. Insomma, buona fortuna. :D

Rot!

Probabilmente hai ragione tu, colpa mia che ho sempre una visione piuttosto apocalittica, non ci capisco molto e mi lascio influenzare  :-)

Saluti

Turrican3

Citazione di: Rot! il 25 Giugno, 2018, 10:55:12colpa mia che ho sempre una visione piuttosto apocalittica

A dire il vero penso che sia più apocalittica la mia, di visione. :D

...e poi ci "gioco" tanto con 'sta cosa, in realtà NON mi ritengo chissà che esperto in materia (sarebbe di un presuntuoso indicibile), vado più per corsi e ricorsi storici e/o comunque sto ad analizzare determinati andazzi e cerco di intuire dove si andrà a parare... e spesso ci prendo pure, ma è puro divertimento, nulla di più... non per altro, ma in caso contrario mi farei pagare. :hihi: :lol:

Bluforce

Coi prezzi attuali della componentistica PC, l'emorragia è assolutamente impossibile. Non è avvenuta quando si poteva fare (due o tre anni fa), figurarci adesso.

L'altro giorno leggevo di un grosso investimento per spingere il processo produttivo a 5nm per il 2019/2020.
PS4 originale usava il processo produttivo a 28nm. Anche riuscissero a produrre a 7, c'è margine per fare qualcosa di buono, io confermo il mio ottimismo.

Sebbene deve essere chiaro a tutti che i margini almeno visivi si fanno sempre più risicati.

Turrican3

Citazione di: Bluforce il 25 Giugno, 2018, 11:23:05Sebbene deve essere chiaro a tutti che i margini almeno visivi si fanno sempre più risicati.

Mettiamoci pure che i nuovi hardware dovranno sobbarcarsi l'onere del quadruplo dei pixel a schermo, il che è facile immaginare che un pochino si "mangerà" il salto generazionale. :sweat:

Bluforce

Da qualche tempo a questa parte, poi, noto (ma magari è solo una mia sensazione) viene data importanza sempre maggiore ai 60fps.

Ecco, se anche grazie alle nuove console si avrà un cambio ideologico deciso verso i 60fps, abbandonando finalmente i 30, ci sarebbe da esserne ben felici.
Ma forse su questo oggettivamente l'ottimismo è eccessivo :bua:

Turrican3

Citazione di: Bluforce il 25 Giugno, 2018, 11:54:36Ecco, se anche grazie alle nuove console si avrà un cambio ideologico deciso verso i 60fps, abbandonando finalmente i 30, ci sarebbe da esserne ben felici.

Dove devo firmare?

Turrican3

CitazioneAmy Hennig: I think we're in an inflection point right now. Obviously what happened with our Star Wars project didn't come out of the blue. A lot of too-dramatic articles were written about it — the death of linear story games and all that kind of stuff — but look, there is a real problem: this line we've been running up to for a lot of years, which is the rising cost of development, and the desires, or the demands even, of players in terms of hours of gameplay, fidelity, production values, additional modes, all these things. Those pressures end up very real internally. If it costs you, say, $100 million or more to make a game, how are you making that money back, and making a profit?

And the $60 price point can't change, right? There's a lot of negative press around monetization, loot boxes, games as a service, etc., but these things are trending now in the industry, especially for larger publishers, as an answer to the problem of rising development costs. Budgets keep going up, the bar keeps getting raised, and it starts making less and less sense to make these games.

There is also this trend now that, as much as people protest and say, "Why are you canceling a linear, story-based game? This is the kind of game we want," people aren't necessarily buying them. They're watching somebody else play them online.

[...]

Amy Hennig: [...] If you look at my contemporaries, a lot of people have started smaller studios. They're not doing the triple-A thing anymore. And like we said earlier, I think we're at an inflection point where the types of games that we're making are going to change, just because of what's supportable.
[...]
To be honest, most of us in triple-A look to the indie scene for inspiration, because you guys are so much more unfettered than we are.

Sean Vanaman: It's the two-million-copies failure that is the worst thing, right?

Amy Hennig: In my experience, we've got to sell at least five right out the door, and then eight or nine down the line. And that would still be modest.

Sean Vanaman: That's madness. Wow, that's so cool. Sorry, that's just so many copies.

Amy Hennig: Otherwise the cost of development makes zero sense. You can't let it distract you, but with every single game, you're kind of all-in — if this doesn't fly, if people don't want this, if this doesn't end up being fun, we're done. Now, granted I think a studio like Naughty Dog has enough of a reputation at this point that Sony would continue to support them, regardless. But it always felt like every single one of those bets could sink the studio.

Bonus:

Blocco nascosto
CitazioneAmy Hennig: I was thinking about this while playing Hellblade, which is amazing and beautiful. And then I thought, "Well, wait a second. They only have to make one character, and we had to do like 20 of those at the same level of fidelity, with as many as 10 of them on screen at a time, running in frame rate." You spend so much of your time just trying to fight the technology as opposed to solving your core design problems, in other words, figuring out what it is you're trying to make.
[close]

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/12/16880484/amy-hennig-sean-vanaman-interview-year-in-review

[vagamente OT]

Eccolo qua, riguardo la (non) sostenibilità del modello AAA, dritto dritto dalla bocca della "mamma" di Uncharted.

Tutte cose che qui dentro - e non solo - vado sostenendo praticamente... da sempre. :gogogo:

PS: il dialogo (trattasi di conversazione tra la Hennig ed un tizio di Campo Santo) non sfiora l'argomento TFLOP neppure per sbaglio, eccezion fatta per una indiretta menzione riguardo Switch, che non è esattamente il paradigma della potenza ecco :D

Rot!

Citazione di: Turrican3 il 29 Giugno, 2018, 09:41:44
Tutte cose che qui dentro - e non solo - vado sostenendo praticamente... da sempre. :gogogo:

Su questo tema hai in me un fedele discepolo  :gogogo:

Saluti

Turrican3